Altos Eye Physicians
762 Altos Oaks Dr. #1Los Altos, CA 94024
Phone: (650) 948-9123
- Background: Harvard Law School
- Undergrad: Harvard College
- Medical School: Washington University in St. Louis School of Medicine
- Residency: Wilmer Eye Institute/Johns Hopkins Hospital
- Fellowship: Minnesota Eye Consultants
Awards and Honors
- Top 50 Rising Star, The Ophthalmologist, 2017
- Ocular Surgery News Premier Surgeon 300 Innovator in Refractive Cataract Surgery, 2016
- Top 40 Under 40, The Ophthalmologist, 2015
- American Academy of Ophthalmology Achievement Award, 2015
- Albert D. Frost Memorial Lecture, Ohio State Insights & Innovations in Ophthalmology, 2016
- Latham Vision Research Innovation Award, 2013–14
- Fellow of the Year, Vanguard Ophthalmology Society, 2012
- Oliver Schein Research Grant Award, 2010–11
- Walter J. Stark Research Grant Award, 2009–10
- Maxwell Grand Prize for Excellence in Ophthalmology, 2007
- Alpha Omega Alpha, 2006
- Danforth and Distinguished Alumni Scholar, 2000–07
- Hartford/American Federation for Aging Research Student Scholar, 2001
- NCAA-Freedom Forum Institute Sports Journalism Scholarship
- Sports Journalism Institute Scholarship
- Board Certified, American Board of Ophthalmology (2013–)
- Fellow, American Academy of Ophthalmology (AAO)
- AAO Council–American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery (ASCRS) representative (2015–)
- Young Eye Surgeons Committee, ASCRS (2013–17)
- EyeWorld, YES Connect column co-editor (2016–17)
- Executive Board, Washington Academy of Eye Physicians and Surgeons (WAEPS), 2014–15
- Chair, WAEPS Speaker Series, 2014–15
- Adjunct Assistant Clinical Professor of Ophthalmology, Stanford University
- Vanguard Ophthalmology Society
- Cornea Society
- Washington State Medical Association
- Board of Directors, Maryland Society of Eye Physicians and Surgeons, 2008–11
- Lee BS, Oster NV, Chen GY, Ding LL, Walker J, Elmore JG. Ophthalmology patients' interest in online access to their doctors' notes. Ophthalmic and Physiological Optics. E-pub Apr. 17, 2017.
- Lee BS, Walker J, Delbanco T, Elmore JG. Transparent electronic health records and lagging laws. Annals of Internal Medicine. 2016;165:219–20.
- Lee BS, Chang DF. Management of small pupils. Expert Review in Ophthalmology 2016;11:49–58.
- Lam JG, Lee BS, Chen PP. The effect of electronic health records adoption on patient visit volume at an academic ophthalmology department. BMC Health Services Research 2016;16:7–12.
- Lee BS, Kymes SM. Correspondence: Standard Methods for Eliciting Utilities. Ophthalmology 2015;122(3):e18.
- Lee BS. Medicolegal Pitfalls of Cataract Surgery. Current Opinion in Ophthalmology 2015;26:66–71.
- Van Gelder RN, Lee BS. Uveitis Treatments: At What Cost Quality? Ophthalmology 2014;121:1852–4.
- Lee BS, Chen PP. Lessons from Implementation of an Intraocular Lens Time Out. Journal of Cataract and Refractive Surgery 2014;40:1744–6.
- Lee BS, Gallagher TH. Saying “I’m Sorry”: Error Disclosure for Ophthalmologists. American Journal of Ophthalmology 2014;158:1108–10.
- Lee BS, Gupta PK, Davis EA, Hardten DR. Outcomes of Photorefractive Keratectomy Enhancement After LASIK. Journal of Refractive Surgery 2014;30:549–56.
- Lee BS. Accuracy and Stability of Hyperopic Treatments. Current Opinion in Ophthalmology 2014;25:281–5.
- Lee BS, Hardten DR. Visual and Subjective Outcomes of Phototherapeutic Keratectomy after Descemet Stripping Endothelial Keratoplasty. Clinical Ophthalmology 2014;8:1011–5.
- Lee BS, Munoz BE, West SK, Gower EW. Functional Improvement After One- and Two-Eyed Cataract Surgery in the Salisbury Eye Evaluation. Ophthalmology 2013;120:949–55.
- Lee BS, Reeves SW, Lindstrom RL, Hardten DR. Modern Management of Astigmatism. International Ophthalmology Clinics: Advances in Cornea, External Disease, and Refractive Surgery 2013;53:65–78.
- Burkholder BM, Srikumaran D, Nanji A, Lee BS, Weinberg RS. Inadvertent trypan blue posterior capsule staining during cataract surgery. American Journal of Ophthalmology 2013;155:625–28.
- Lee BS, Hardten DR. Cataract Surgical Problem Consultation #3. Journal of Cataract and Refractive Surgery 2011;37:2227.
- Lee BS, Stark WJ, Jun AS. Descemet-stripping Automated Endothelial Keratoplasty: A Successful Alternative to Repeat Penetrating Keratoplasty. Clinical & Experimental Ophthalmology 2011;39:195–200.
- Lee BS, Frankfort BJ, Eberhart CG, Weinberg RS. Diagnosis of Intravascular Lymphoma by a Novel Biopsy Site. Ophthalmology 2011;118:586–90.
- Lee BS, Virdi AS, Hammersmith KM, Jun AS. Guttae in the Donor After Descemet-Stripping Automated Endothelial Keratoplasty. Graefe’s Archive for Clinical and Experimental Ophthalmology 2010;248:1523–25.
- Lee BS, Kymes SM, Sumner W, Siegfried CJ, Gordon MO. Using a perfect health anchor to measure utilities for five common ophthalmic diseases. Ophthalmology 2008;115:898–903.
- Kymes SM, Lee BS. Preference-based quality of life measures in people with visual impairment. Optometry and Visual Sciences 2007;84:809–16.
- Chang DF, Lee BS. Cataract: A Patient's Guide, 3rd ed. SLACK, Inc. (2016).
- Lee BS, Samuelson TW. Chapter 10.13, Pseudoexfoliation. Ophthalmology, 4th ed. Ed. Myron Yanoff, Jay S. Duker. Elsevier (2013).
- Hardten DR, Lee BS. Volume 6, Chapter 41, Incisional Keratotomy. Duane’s Ophthalmology. Ed. William Tasman, Edward A. Jaeger. Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins (2013).
- Lee BS, Hardten DR. Chapter 7, Complications in Refractive Surgery: Avoidance and Management. Ophthalmic Surgery Complications. Ed. Agarwal A, Jacob S. SLACK Incorporated (2012).
- Lee BS. Corneal Foreign Body Removal. Avoiding Common Errors in Emergency Medicine. Ed. Amal Mattu, et al. Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins (2010).
- Dunlop KO, Sarraille WA, Lee B. Fraud and Abuse in Clinical Research. Clinical Research Law and Compliance Handbook, 169–220. Ed. J.E. Steiner. Sudbury, Mass.: Jones and Bartlett (2006).
- Error Disclosure for Ophthalmologists (senior instructor). AAO Annual Meeting (2014–2016). Co-instructors: Atma Vemulakonda, MD & Thomas Gallagher, MD.
- Multifocal IOL Exchange Learning Lounge. AAO Annual Meeting (2015). Co-instructor: David Chang, MD.
- Speaker, Refractive Subspecialty Day, AAO Annual Meeting (2015).
- Challenging Video Cases for the Young Surgeon. ASCRS Annual Meeting (2013–14, 2016, 2017).
- Resident and Fellows Skills Lab co-instructor. ASCRS Annual Meeting (2016–17).
- Lee BS, Hardten DR. Phototherapeutic Keratectomy After Descemet-Stripping Endothelial Keratoplasty. ASCRS Meeting (San Francisco, Apr. 2013).
- Lee BS, Munoz BE, West SK, Gower EW. Functional Improvement After 1- and 2-Eyed Cataract Surgery in the Salisbury Eye Evaluation. ASCRS Meeting (Chicago, Apr. 2012). Presentation for general program and also invited presentation for Resident & Fellows Day.
- Gupta PK, Lee BS, Hardten DR, Davis EA. Outcomes of PRK Enhancement After LASIK. Hawaiian Eye Meeting (Maui, HI, Jan. 2012).
- Lee BS, Munoz BE, West SK, Gower EW. Functional Improvement After One- and Two-Eyed Cataract Surgery in the Salisbury Eye Evaluation. 70th Clinical Meeting of the Wilmer Residents Association (Baltimore, MD, June 2011).
- Lee BS, Stark WJ, Gottsch JD, Jun AS. Restoring Clarity to Penetrating Keratoplasty Grafts with DSAEK. 70th Clinical Meeting of the Wilmer Residents Association (Baltimore, MD, June 2011).
- Lee BS, Stark WJ, Gottsch JD, Jun AS. Descemet-Stripping Endothelial Keratoplasty After Penetrating Keratoplasty: Outcomes and Predictors for Success. 69th Clinical Meeting of the Wilmer Residents Association (Baltimore, MD, May 2010).
- Lee BS, Frankfort BJ, Eberhart CG, Weinberg RS. Intravascular Lymphoma: A Rare Disease Diagnosed by Lacrimal Gland Biopsy. Annual Meeting of the American Uveitis Society (San Francisco, CA, Oct. 2009).
- Kymes SM, Lee BS, Sumner W, Gordon MO. The Potentially Confounding Influence of “Perfect Vision” in Assessment of Health-Related Utility in People with Visual Impairment. 28th Annual Meeting of the Society for Medical Decision Making (Boston, MA, Oct. 2006).
- Burkholder BM, Srikumaran DF, Lee BS, Weinberg RS. Inadvertent Trypan Blue Posterior Capsule Staining. American Academy of Ophthalmology Annual Meeting (Orlando, FL, Oct. 2011).
- Lee BS, Stark WJ, Gottsch JD, Jun AS. Descemet-Stripping Endothelial Keratoplasty Following Penetrating Keratoplasty at a Tertiary Care Center. Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology (Ft. Lauderdale, FL, May 2010).
- Lee BS, Kymes SM, Nease RF, Sumner W, Siegfried CJ, Gordon MO. The Complex Role of Vision in Patients’ Overall Health-Related Quality of Life. Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology (Ft. Lauderdale, FL, May 2007).