Eye Doctors of Washington
2 Wisconsin Circle Suite 230Chevy Chase, MD 20815
Phone: (301) 215-7100
- Background: American Board of Ophthalmology Board Certified, June 2008 to present
- Undergrad: Centre College, Danvile, KY
- Medical School: University of Toledo School of Medicine (Formerly The Medical College of Ohio), Toledo, OH
- Residency: Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT
- Fellowship: Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT
Awards and Honors
- Yale University School of Medicine- Chief Resident of Ophthalmology, 2005
- Medical College of Ohio- AOA Honor Medical Society, Presidential Scholarship
- Centre College- Phi Beta Kappa, Omicron Delta Kappa, Sycamore Scholarship, GTE Academic All-American, District Team, Soccer
- American Academy of Ophthalmology
- American Glaucoma Society
- American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery
- Vanguard Ophthalmology Society
- Washington DC Metropolitan Area Ophthalmology Society
- Medical Society of Virginia
- Korchak M, Glazier RU Jr., Mayer HR. The depiction of protective eyewear use in popular children’s television programs. Accepted- Journal of Pediatric Ophthalmology and Strabismus, October 2012.
- Karan AM, Karan, Somasundaram, P, Haben M, Shayegani A, Mayer HR. The effect of multimedia interventions on the informed consent process for cataract surgery in rural South India: A Randomized Controlled Trial. Accepted- Indian Journal of Ophthalmology, September 2012.
- Guedes G, Karan AM, Shields MB, Mayer HR. Evaluation of Adverse Events in "Sulfa-Allergic" Patients Using Topical Carbonic Anhydrase Inhibitors. Accepted- Journal of Ocular Pharmacology and Therapeutics, September 2012.
- Karan AM, Campbell DJ, Mayer HR. The effect of a visual aid on the understanding of informed consent for cataract surgery in a rural, indigent South Indian population. Dig J Ophthal. 2011 Sept;17(3).
- Glazier RU Jr., Mayer HR. The depiction of protective eyewear use in popular television programs. J Trauma. 2011 Apr;70(4):965-9.
- Adelman RA, Zheng Q, Mayer HR. Persistent ocular hypertension following intravitreal bevacizumab and ranibizumab injections. J Ocul Pharmacol Ther. 2010 Feb;26(1):105-10.
- Mayer HR. Is there still a place for argon laser in glaucoma therapy? Glaucoma Today, March/April 2012.
- Mayer HR, Tsai JC. Focal Points: Neovascular glaucoma. Clifford, William S. ed. American Academy of Ophthalmology. 2011(11).
- Mayer HR. Glaucoma Lasers: Prevention and management of complications. Glaucoma Today. BMC. 2011(5)38-40.
- Lin JL, Mayer HR. New technology for treating glaucoma in patients undergoing cataract surgery. European Ophthalmic Review 2010; (3)2.
- Mayer HR. (2011) Chapters on- Ocular surgery principles. Cataract. Glaucoma. In Bernardino CR, Erickson B, Modi Y, eds. Yale Guide to Ophthalmic Surgery. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.
- Mayer HR, Tsai JC. (2011) Neovascular glaucoma. In Das A, Friberg TR, eds. Therapy of ocular angiogenesis: Principles and practice. (pp. 299-305) Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.
- Mayer HR, Weitzman ML, Caprioli J. (2010) Automated perimetry in glaucoma. In: Walsh T, ed. Ophthalmology monographs: Visual fields. 3rd Edition. Oxford: American Academy of Ophthalmology.
- Mayer HR, Tsai JC, Shields MB. (2009) Cyclophotocoagulation. In Giaconi JA, Law SK, Caprioli J, Coleman AL, eds. Pearls of glaucoma management. (pp. 263-269) Verlag: Springer.
- Mayer HR, Tsai JC. (2009) Cataract surgery in the presence of a trabeculectomy bleb. In: Johnson SM, ed. Cataract surgery in the glaucoma patient. Dordrecht: Springer.
- Mayer HR. (2009) Revisions of chapters on- Investigations and their interpretation; Lens; Glaucoma; Vision in context. In: Tsai JC, Denniston A, Murray P, Huang J, Aldad TS, eds. Oxford American Handbook of Ophthalmology. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Mayer HR, Tsai JC. (2008) Neovascular glaucoma. In: Heuer D, ed., Gedde SJ, and Lewis RA, assoc. eds. Curbside consultation in glaucoma. Thorofare: Slack Publishing.